Friday 29 March 2013

One night...

Holy Week and Easter weekend with St Teresa's choir has been hectic, amazing, challenging and inspiring. Wednesday's rehearsal included covering everything for the upcoming services and went on past 10 pm. The conductors were in that mood common to all choral directors before a big performance. Perhaps the funniest moment was my section being told off for mispronouncing "flowing". The whole choir laughed, as even though I was right, the section stands as one so it's still pretty funny.

All week I have felt a cold coming on and on Wednesday it finally emerged. Obviously I'm still at that stage where I think all illnesses could be malaria despite diligently taking anti-malarials, tucking in my net and wearing repellents, and utterly regardless of different symptoms. It was late and there was a definite chill in the air. Margaret, a primary school teacher and alto who lives in my direction, took me under her wing and we jumped in a 77 (a taxi which works a bit like a London bus and where a single costs 7 Delasi (14p)). The taxi driver drove me right home, which isn't on route and should've cost more but such is the nature of kindness often found here.

What followed was the worst night's sleep I've had in a long time. My mattress has a body shaped dent in the centre despite turning, my cold was streaming and at about 3am the slats fell out from under my bed. At 5am ish the call to prayer started so at least I knew what time it was. Also one of the singers (apologies for not knowing the correct term) has a very melodious voice and he was singing this morning. I shoved a pillow into the dent, curled up and dreamt a mixed day/sleep dream about something horrific (removing tumbu (sp?) fly maggots from my arms) and saving up to buy a sprung mattress. I practiced saying mangee feebar (I have sickness), treated myself to a warm wash from a bucket and headed to work where friendship and adventure awaited.
(n.b. when you read this remember this was some time ago. At the time of publication I'm fine, listening to some drumming, and have reconstructed my bed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment