Wednesday 6 March 2013

Farewell UK

And so the farewell tour of the UK draws to a close. Jumpers are nestled in drawers for my return, my bags are packed and the car has been sold for a pittance. Happily, in a bid at making lasting nostalgic impressions, the UK is in a warm spell so my layers of summer Gambia appropriate clothing are keeping me reasonably warm with only the occasional addition of a borrowed coat.

Since 25th January when I first wished a two year farewell to Anna and Darren, there has been a been a constant leaving do theme. Tears have been shed, wine drunk, presents given, food shared and time spent with many beloved friends and family. My life since leaving my own flat and income has been a whirlwind of hospitality, meeting new babies, sharing celebrations and clocking up a huge mileage on Steve. I have been surprised, overjoyed and humbled; one friend travelled for four hours for a 45 minute dinner, my Grandad conducted a tour of Warrington for long-soak peas to get some soup right, and my Godchildren, well basically counted to five, sang songs and read books. Throughout it all I have learned and relied on a network of fabulous people who would find bed space in a flash for a chaotic nomad. Thank you all.

And so now, in an etch-a-sketch style shake up of my life, I am about to move to The Gambia. I'm excited, packed up, scared and vaccinated within an inch of immortality. I hope to keep this blog with at least weekly updates and comments on content or whatever comes to mind will be gratefully received, both as criticism and reminders of those I am coming home to.

And so farewell to Britain. Farewell good friends, autumn coloured ale, sheets of rain, grey foggy mists, rolling green hills, rabbit hole country lanes, "just in case" coats on muddy walks, blankets of snow. Let's see what list The Gambia can inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment