Friday 10 May 2013

Almost two months in - a note to my family

Congratulations and welcome to the newest members of my extended family, Jo and Jake. Jo married my uncle Tom at the end of April and I now have a step cousin in the form of Jake. This event prompted a mission to send words that my sisters could report to enquirers at the wedding. Due to other events I missed the question so here is my tardy response.

Tell them that I am well, I am here and I am safe. Tell them that I miss our family, our faults and foibles, our talks and concerns, our culture of shared food and story telling. Tell them that people here share what they have generously, and that it reminds me of my grandparent's house. Tell them that I have a friend who's chips taste like Gran's and who cares for me, and I call him my big brother.

Tell them that when I received a welcome card from the Jacksons in my first week there was a tear in my eye and I was so excited. Tell them that the clothes from Audrey keep me smart, culturally respectful, and sun safe. Tell them that my three swiss army knives are all used frequently. Tell them that my rechargeable lamp lets me read into the night. Tell them that I have used some of the Immodium from Tom and Jo.

Tell them that there's a man at church who dances like grandad, and that I went to a church dance that was like in the 50s but that it didn't start till midnight and that I got home at four thirty. Tell them I have friends here who care for me, that when I lost my phone they got a replacement for me while I was at work, that they advise me and we laugh together, that I am only alone when I choose to be. Tell them I've had around 120 marriage proposals since I arrived but so far no one is successful. Tell them sometimes the hassle winds me up and I hide in my house and paint, and sometimes it makes me laugh and gives me company, and sometimes I scold people. Tell them the work is challenging and interesting and all the usual ways of a new job with the addition of 70% of interactions being in a language I can barely speak.

Tell them that my shower is cold but that when the tropical sun hits the water it sparkles like a thousand diamonds, glittering with rainbows. Tell them that I have had less than ten cups of tea in two months and that I know how to make up milk from powder without it going grainy. Tell them that I see new birds every day and that, at dusk, bats the size of crows flutter overhead and stop me in my tracks because they're lovely. Tell them every day I wash my feet twice but they only become completely clean once a week.

Tell them I am coming back to myself and that I carry them in my thoughts and prayers and actions. Tell them I see their faces in my photos every day, I see my Godsons growing up and my friends having adventures with their own families. Tell them that I miss them, that I am grateful to them and that I love them. Tell them I will come home and tell them that I know that I am loved.

Then say "yeah I know, she is being soft". And know that I am laughing with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment